Overnight from Albuquerque
- Stop and walk along Coronado State Monument in Sandoval County, start of Jemez Mountain Scenic Byway to Jemez
- Continue on Hwy 550 to Hwy 4
- On Hwy 4, turn right at exit 290 to Ponderosa, follow road to Ponderosa Winery for wine tasting
- Return to Hwy 4 north to Jemez Pueblo. Stop into Walatowa Visitor Center and set up Red Rocks Canyon Trail guided walk for next day (hours vary upon season)
- Drive across street for Indian Taco, fry bread or other locally made pueblo food and enjoy the beautiful red rock mesas while eating
- Continue on Hwy 4, turn west on NM 485 to historic Gilman Tunnels
- Get back on Hwy 4 to Jemez Springs
- Visit Jemez Fine Art Gallery and/or Jemez Artisans (across the street from each other)
- Check in to hotel
- Dinner at Los Ojos Saloon and Restaurant or Highway 4 Cafe (check weekly and seasonal hours)
- Nighttime soak outdoors at Jemez Hot Springs under the starry night sky
- Breakfast at Highway 4 Cafe
- Visit Jemez Historic Site; walk along self guided 1.5 mile interpretive trail
- Get on Hwy 4, head north to Soda Dam. Walk around, take photos.
- Continue north 17 miles on Hwy. 4 past Battleship Rock (to right) to Valles Caldera National Preserve. Check out visitor center, hike one of several hiking trails.
- Return south towards Jemez Springs. Stop at Weekends or other shops (link to shopping page) for locally made gifts
- Lunch back in Village at Stage Stop restaurant
- Continue south along Hwy. 4 to Walatowa Visitor Center to take guided Red Rocks Canyon Trail Tour.
Alternate extended stay options, north of Jemez along Jemez Mountain Scenic Byway Trail.
- Fenton Lake State Park
- Bandelier National Monument
- Los Alamos, NM